OfficeSpace.com's Move Guide
Chapter One - Deciding to Move
Organizations rarely get the chance to rethink the way they operate, and relocation presents that opportunity. Relocation should result in a better working environment for your organization, even if it is the result of down-sizing. You must seriously weigh the pros and cons of moving before deciding to relocate. But at the same time, don't put off moving because of the hassle involved. This guide will help you to minimize the hassle and take advantage of the relocation opportunity.
- Questions to Ask Yourself Beforehand
- Deciding Where to Move
- Commercial Real Estate Agents
- Economic Development Agencies
- Getting Information on a New Community
- Things to Consider if Moving Out of Your Community
- Choosing a Site
- Questions to Ask Your New Neighbors
- Before Signing the Lease
- Deciding to Move Checklist
1. Questions to Ask Yourself Beforehand. Here are some questions to ask yourself to help you decide if moving is right for you:
- Exactly why are we moving?
- How will this move benefit the company and its future?
- What are the drawbacks of moving?
- Can we afford to move?
- Can we afford not to move?
- Can we afford to lose some business during the transition?
- Is now a good time to move? Are we gearing up for the holiday season or other period of increased production or sales?
- If we are thinking about moving to a far away location, can we afford to lose some personnel who choose not to relocate?
- Can the company and employees handle the stress that accompanies moving?
- Is the company in a healthy state to move? Is there a history of indecisiveness, lack of leadership, high turnover, or other morale-related problems?
2. Deciding Where to Move. This is the most important decision you will have to make. Finding the ideal location is a time-consuming task. Your search may take weeks or even months, whether you are looking for new space in your immediate area or a new site in another part of the country.
You must also decide if moving into a finished office building or suite is more to your liking than having a site under construction, or soon-to-be constructed built to your exact specifications. Return to Top
Copyright Notice. Portions of OfficeSpace.com's Moving Guide have been reprinted with permission from The Small Company Moving Guide, authored by Diane Touleyrou.
Access to the remaining part of the Move Guide requires registration, followed by the purchase of a $29 subscription.
Continue to Chapter 2 Back to prior Page